What causes Turkey Neck?
“Turkey neck” is one of the most unflattering signs of aging that tends to happen to most of us. This wrinkled, saggy neck skin is also known as the “wattle,” no matter how clean and clear looking your facial skin is, the neck will expose your age. Most people notice neck skin beginning to sag and wrinkle in their late 30’s or early 40’s. “Turkey neck” occurs when the neck muscles start to weaken, and your skin elasticity dissipates, losing its capability to stretch and tighten. When underlying platysma muscles start to separate and loosen, their borders display through thinning skin as vertical bands from the jawline to their clavicle bone. This is what leaves us with a turkey neck-like appearance. When gravity has pulled your waddler toward your knees, turkey neck tightening exercises are not enough to carve your jowls and neck back into place.
A reason to be thankful is that you have many developing and effective non-invasive choices for reducing and tightening your turkey neck. Although there are many neck-specific firming creams, neck-firming yoga exercises, and other weird contraptions, surgical procedures are the most dramatic. Most people are hesitant to surgery with so many other less invasive options available. If you are serious about getting rid of the loose, sagging, wrinkled neck skin, you should consider resolutions by an expert.
The neck area appears to age faster for many reasons. Factors to consider heredity, diet, drastic weight loss, collagen, and elastin decline, and sun exposure can affect how your neck ages. There are additional factors specific on the neck that can make neck skin appear older than you are.
Turkey Neck Treatments that Actually Work
Tighten and Flatten – Smooth Crepiness – What Wattle?
Here are some of the best treatments for sagging neck and jowls: all non-surgical procedures that are by far the quickest and most effective treatments for turkey neck. Many non-invasive technologies useful for carving away a second chin:
- Retinoid – Topicals like tretinoin or adapalene can trigger skin cell turnover, encourage collagen and elastin production, and thicken skin below the outermost layer.
- Neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) –– Botox is non-invasive without recovery time that is effectively used to relax the platysmal bands, diminishing their appearance. The results last about 3 to 4 months, and should be repeated as necessary to maintenance.
- Non-ablative lasers (Skin tightening laser) – Rather than removing skin at the top layers, as ablative lasers, numerous devices send intense laser light below the surface of the skin to help build collagen and remodel the skin. Various medical devices can heat and tighten the skin. A laser is a non-invasive treatment that offers moderate results. Repeated treatments over 4 to 6 months are necessary for results. The benefit is that there is no recovery time involved for this procedure.
- Laser resurfacing – Another laser option is a fractional erbium-based laser that is an even deeper neck treatment to address firming and wrinkles.It vaporizes damaged surface cells and speeds cell regeneration, helping your skin replace old cells with new, healthy ones. Fractionated lasers map skin and deliver treatment beams only to damaged cells. This process makes the skin recover faster and more comfortably.
- Forma uses radiofrequency energy with a thermal temperature sensor to heat skin in real-time to treat and improve skin and tissue to a more youthful appearance. This tightens and contours the skin with a gentle heat that causes collagen fibers to contract.
- Morpheus8 is a deep fractional, radiofrequency treatment that delivers exceptional skin, tissue, and collagen remodeling to improve skin appearance and reduce irregularities.
- MiniFX radiofrequency non-invasive treatments target tissue to reduce dimpled skin appearance, targeting subdermal fat and skin for small areas, such as the neck.
- Lumecca is an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser treatment to improve and brighten texture and reduce skin irregularities, including sun damage, freckles, pigmentation, and superficial vessels.
- Fotona4D® Face & Necklift is a series of synergistic, non-invasive laser treatments of both the exterior facial and interior oral cavity, enabling full-thickness contraction of collagen for persistent tightening and volumization without injectables. With two laser wavelengths and four treatment modes, anti-aging comprehensively approaches from 4 different levels. It works on deeper, medial, and superficial connective structures of the skin, as well as targeting imperfections.
- Fotona TightSculpting® is a unique dual-wavelength, non-invasive laser treatment for sculpting and skin tightening on all body areas. The exclusive delivery modes are used in concert for hyperthermic adipocyte destruction and collagen remodeling with exceptional results. The procedure is a fast, safe, and effective non-invasive alternative to laser lipolysis, with no consumables or downtime required for your patient.